Flying home with a bit of a God-wink

Small update from my last post: my flight back to Rochester was canceled.

Yet, here I am, writing from the comfort of my own couch.

So how did I make it home? Join me on my exhausting journey…

Let me start by saying flying is not exactly my favorite activity. I have suffered through enough turbulence to come to that conclusion. Now, I’ve gotten into a habit of napping on flights. That way I don’t have to know exactly what’s going on, where we are, or how much longer is left in the flight…I put a lot of trust in the pilots.

Saturday morning, I was a bit bummed to be at the airport. It was the end of my vacation, I said goodbye to my family, and it was time to return to my working life.

Making my way to my gate, I started catching up on work emails and such. It’s when I noticed there was some heavy rain coming down in Rochester. I didn’t give it that much thought and continued on to board my flight from Savannah to Washington DC.

After a quick flight and a bumpy landing, I found myself in our nation’s capital. I had a bit of a layover until my next flight so I figured why not find some food. While eating, I discovered that the rain had still not let up in Rochester. Slightly concerned, I reached out to my coworkers at WHAM who told me it shouldn’t slow down my travels. Now slightly relieved, I waited for my group number to be called before boarding my flight home.

The whole goal of flying was to make it back home quickly and avoid my family road trip. My parents and brothers were in the middle of a 15+ hour drive from Georgia to New Jersey. I’ve done that drive before, and didn’t want to do it again.

While I was sending updates about my travels, my mother informed me they were stuck in traffic somewhere in Virginia. At the time I laughed while boarding my flight, thinking I would be home soon. How wrong I was.

As we prepared for takeoff, the pilot informed us he would be keeping the seatbelt sign on because we were going to face some fun, energetic turbulence. Not what I wanted to hear, and definitely contributed to my growing anxiety.

Not even 5 minutes later, the pilot told us we were on a weather delay. Not for weather in DC, but Rochester. More fuel for my anxiety fire.

After sitting on the tarmac for two hours, we were brought back to our gate. It was now an hour later than when I was supposed to land. I was not feeling good.

Keeping up with the Lanahan’s on the road, I told them I was sitting back in the airport on a weather delay. Thinking the worst, I started to panic about if my flight was to be canceled. (SPOILER ALERT: It was. This isn’t really a spoiler because I already said it at the start, but, whatever.)

My parents were trying to keep me calm as they crawled through traffic. It’s fun trying to work through my anxiety because while I know things will be okay, my body reacts like it’s the end of the world. But the more I waited to re-board my flight, the closer they got to DC. At this point in my day, I thought they would beat me home.

I was supposed to land in Rochester at 4:30 p.m. It was now 7:00 p.m. and I was still sweating in DC. Finally, I got the text update, the flight was canceled.

Now, I froze. I went straight to worst-case scenario, thinking I would have to sleep in the airport and wait for the next flight to Western New York.

Thankfully I have two parents who could think clearly and help me out. When I told them my flight got canceled, they happened to be 30 minutes from the airport. We quickly worked out a plan where they would pick me up, we would all drive back to New Jersey, then I would drive back to Rochester early in the morning. That way I would make it back in time for work.

They didn’t even have to go out of their way to stop by the airport! I never thought I would be so extremely relieved to re-join the road trip.

I say I was flying home with a God-wink because of how everything fell into place. It was like He was looking out for me. My family happened to be caught in traffic while I was stuck in the airport, and it all somehow timed out to our reunion.

It was kind of nice getting a few extra hours with my family. While I wish I got home on time, it all worked out.

We got home pretty late, so it was straight to bed for me. One last road trip later, I was back in my little Rochester apartment.

I’m thankful everything worked out and I made it back safely. Honestly. I preferred this trip to flying through turbulence.

Have you ever had to work around a flight cancelation? What would you do? I would love any tips if this ever happens again! (Which knowing my luck, probably will.)

One Reply to “Flying home with a bit of a God-wink”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: